Multiple Tour Dates Available:
March 2-6, 2022 – REGISTRATION CLOSED
Join us as we trace the history and legacy of the Civil Rights Movement in the deep south from slavery, through the movement, and into the present day.
MEJDI Exclusive Socially Conscious Experiences:
- Meet with a director from the International African American Museum, currently being constructed at Gadsden’s Wharf, for a discussion on civil rights from slavery to present day.
- Talk with a director from the Center for the Study of Slavery at the College of Charleston and examine the impact of slavery and race-related issues in Charleston and the surrounding region.
- Tour the McLeod Plantation Historic Site and explore the lives of people who shaped Charleston’s complex past and the nation’s future.
- Visit the Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission and try your hand in African sweetgrass basket making, while learning about the importance of memory and the preservation of traditions in the Gullah Geechee culture.
- Stop at the First African Baptist Church, home to the oldest black congregation in North America, whose first congregants were slaves.
- Explore the Pin Point Heritage Museum, located in an old oyster and crab factory, and experience firsthand the Gullah Geechee culture of Savannah and the surrounding lowcountry.
- Meet with a representative from the Coastal Heritage Society and tour the Frogtown Tenements, part of the Savannah History Museum and the last remaining residential structures from the diverse and underserved neighborhood of Frogtown. Hear the stories of black and other minority families that inhabited Frogtown from the end of the Civil War through the mid 20th century and learn about the Coastal Heritage Society’s efforts to preserve these structures and their stories.
Check out the detailed tour itinerary (also located at the bottom of this page).
Check out a four minute TED talk by the founder of MEJDI in which he outlines the history and philosophy behind the company.
Before you Register:
- Read through the Terms and Conditions
- Do not book your flight until you receive the tour confirmation email from us. This tour requires a minimum number of travelers to run and we will send out the tour confirmation (and update this note on the webpage) as soon as we have met that number.
Interested but not quite ready to deposit? Please complete the following interest form so we can keep you posted on status updates for the tour: