https://mejditours.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Memphis.jpg 726 982 RB-ADMIN https://mejditours.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/logo-green.svg RB-ADMIN2021-06-17 21:05:492021-12-21 15:01:08Civil Rights: Music of the Movement
Civil Rights: Music of the Movement
April 7-10, 2022 – REGISTRATION CLOSED
From African American spirituals to gospel to folk to blues to uniting and inspiring activists in their pursuit of justice and freedom, music has always been deeply intertwined with the heart of the Civil Rights Movement and the quest for social justice across the U.S.
MEJDI Exclusive Socially Conscious Experiences:
- Discuss Elvis’s contribution to music, his integration of traditionally black or white sounds, and the controversy surrounding him on both sides of the racial divide.
- Tour the Stax Museum of American Soul Music with the wife of late Stax house band member and American soul and R&B musician, Wayne Jackson.
- Sit down with a former white supremacist, Neo-Nazi, and KKK leader turned human rights activist and a Black Lives Matter activist for a dual-narrative discussion on the legacy of the civil rights movement and how it applies to the current racial conflict in the United States.
- Tour Nashville’s Civil Rights Trail with a former Freedom Rider of the Freedom Rides of 1961.
- Attend a live music performance by a local black musician followed by discussion on the challenges facing young black artists in a the country music industry.
- Take part in a discussion on how music shapes and preserves identity and spurs social change.
Check out the detailed tour itinerary (also located at the bottom of this page).
- 10+ Paying Participants – $1,995